Poultry Inspection - Advanced
This course is only available to domestic students
Course Duration: 3 days
Pricing: $2,310.00 per person + GST & disbursements
This course is designed to meet the needs of the Poultry Industry Association of New Zealand (PIANZ) and Ministry for Primary Industry (MPI) requirements. It provides the practical knowledge and skills to effectively examine poultry, quality management and verification methods, food safety and animal welfare.
What is covered?
- Principles of food safety and hazard identification
- New Zealand and overseas legislation related to the poultry industry
- Identification and dispositions of diseases, defects and abnormalities found at ante and post-mortem examination of poultry
- Risk management Programmes (RMP) and the duties of personnel
- Quality management and verification methods
- The importance of animal welfare, legislation, best practice
- Proves commitment to meeting regulatory requirements and customer expectations of reducing the risk of non-compliance
- Increases the confidence of MPI and customers that the business understands and can control compliance requirements
- Provides an insight into current national and international food safety issues
- Develops an increased awareness of how important animal treatment is to the quality of the end product
- Provides confidence of compliance with the guidelines prescribed by the Animal Welfare Act 1999
Who should attend?
- Leading hands involved directly with processing of poultry and poultry products
- Supervisors of processing areas
- Direct supervisors of ante and post-mortem examination
- QA staff
- Nominated persons (Stage 1)
Trainees who successfully complete this course achieve:
- Unit Standard 28171 - Demonstrate understanding of ante-mortem examination of poultry used for human consumption (Level 3) (5 credits)
- Unit Standard 30290 - Complete ante-mortem examination of poultry used for human consumption (Level 3) (10 credits)
- Unit Standard 20644 - Demonstrate knowledge of the Animal Welfare Act in a primary industry operation (Level 3) (5 credits)
- Unit Standard 28170 - Demonstrate understanding of post-mortem examination of poultry products used for human consumption (Level 3) (10 credits)
- Unit standard 28173 – Complete post-mortem examination of poultry products used for human consumption (Level 3 (15 credits)
The trainees must have sufficient experience in the poultry industry. This can be achieved by providing evidence of
training or by completion of the Job skill Poultry Level 3 course. The job skill Poultry Level 3 course allows trainees to work towards the NZ Certificate in Meat Products.
All students are required to have a level of written and oral English equivalent to IELTS 5.5 or higher to be eligible to attend the courses. The person responsible for making bookings or authorising attendance on the course must agree to this entry requirement.
Please note that evidence of English language proficiency is exempt for those trainees whose enrolment has been organised, paid or required by their employer.
Age requirements - You will be required to be 18 years old or older to be able to enrol into our courses.
Please contact our team in advance if you have any special learning needs or additional support is required on the day. Trainees with literacy concerns may request a reader/writer support for non-unit standard based training.
Note: Currently this course is only available to domestic students. Please contact us if you are not a domestic student and would like to register your interest in this course.
Click here to make a personal enquiry and we’ll be in touch